Saturday, July 10, 2010

Can I list my house ';for sale by owner'; and then contact one of the people who viewed my house with an agent?

We planned on taking our house off the market on Nov 1 so we wouldn't be hassled during the holiday season. We had a buyer and signed a contract, but her financing fell through due to ID theft. If she gets that cleaned up can I contact her to buy without notifying the agents? I don't think this is illegal, but it just seems ethically questionable. Some people tell me yes and some say no, but does anyone really know?Can I list my house ';for sale by owner'; and then contact one of the people who viewed my house with an agent?
You can contact her, but don't think you are going to steal the commission. The RE agent still gets their commission.Can I list my house ';for sale by owner'; and then contact one of the people who viewed my house with an agent?
If you had a buyer while it was listed with an agent it is considered a ';protected buyer';. If you sell the house on your own to this same buyer, the agent who brought the buyer and the listing agent can sue you for their commission .


Depends on how anxious these Realtors are to pursue it, and the way the market is now, every $ counts.
Read your contract. The police won't arrest you, but the agents will sue you and they will win their commissions and court costs.

No comments:

Post a Comment