Thursday, August 19, 2010

Has anyone ever used ';for sale by owner';? I want to sell but hate realtors due to a bad buying experience

Just curious if the $200 is worth it. There are about 8 other homes listed in my area with prices that are above and below what I want so I know I have a good median price, but does it generate enough views and interest? Or should I stick with the local newspaper? Any advice would be terrific since this will be the first home I ever have to sell :)Has anyone ever used ';for sale by owner';? I want to sell but hate realtors due to a bad buying experience
I haven't had many experiences with forsalebyowner...


I know that when we were looking at houses we did look at buyowner.com as well as forsalebyowner.com





Another good thing to consider that I believe is free is listing your house on Zillow.com


If you go on to zillow and enter your house address, there is an option that says ';Claim this as your home'; and ';Tell us its for sale.'; This will allow you to post your home information as well as zillow users to contact you.Has anyone ever used ';for sale by owner';? I want to sell but hate realtors due to a bad buying experience
As a realtor, I know that only 8 - 11% of homes are successfully sold without using a realtor. Here in the GTA, 'for sale by owner' has been very popular but not always successful.





If you would like to sell your home on your own I would advise in doing a strategic marketing blitz. Advertise in the newspaper, tell your neighbours to spread the word, hand out flyers, list on websites (eg. facebook) and last but not least hold an open house every weekend.





If I can be any more of your assistance you can email me at xxxksgxxx@yahoo.ca





Hope this helps :)





Kal
You can try to sell on your own, but you will not get the same exposure as you would if you used a realtor. In addition, the buyers will think they can negotiate with you further since they know you will not be paying any realtors' fees.





I suggest that you find a realtor you are comfortable with, tell him/her what you expect them to do for you, then negotiate a commision %.
I have sold many houses ';by owner';, but don't know what the $200.00 is that you are referring to. You need to have some knowledge of real estate transactions if you decide to do this your self, but a real estate attorney is much cheaper than a realtor, at least in my town.
FSOBs can be good things. Someone answering mentioned that you wont get as much exposure as you would witha realator, this is true. Realators are able to move things a bit quicker due to their ability to market on a much broader scope then I'm sure you'd want to (for cost reasons). I will tell you though one thing that can help is to offer seller financing. This can be a bit of a stretch depending on your financial position but if you can swing it this may give you the leverage you need to sell it a bit faster.





What I mean by seller financing (not to insult your inteligence) is you become the bank. Not only are you selling the house but you will allow the buyer to make payments to you at a set interest rate amortized mothly. This does entail some risk, ie. default on house payments, however it will get the house sold quicker by opening it up for some people may or may not qualify for a bank mortgage.





Just because someone doesn't qualify or they have bad credit, doesn't mean that they aren't going to pay. Sometimes banks are so heavily restricted it makes it difficult to make loans without getting the regulators in an uproar, trust me I am a commercial loan officer at a bank.





Anyway I hope this helps a bit, just a word of advice though, be sure to do your homework if you choose the rout I've mentioned and always, ALWAYS remember to hire a lawyer for any real estate transaction. This is the most important advice you will ever get.

No comments:

Post a Comment